Do’s and Don’ts of Nail Care
- Leave your nails without nail polish once in a while at least in order to allow them to breathe.
- Keep a pack of hand lotion or cream near the kitchen sink and use it each time after washing your hands.
- Wear gloves while doing housework or gardening and rub some hand cream or lotion before putting on the gloves.
- Apply oil to your nails whenever possible in order to strengthen them.
- Include ample quantities of calcium and vitamin A in your daily diet.
- Keep your manicure set clean in order to prevent any infection.
- Have a professional manicure done at least once a month.
- Prolonged exposure to the sun is not good for nails and a lot of swimming will dry them. This can be encountered by keeping the nails and cuticles well moisturized.
- Before doing chores like dusting or gardening, first dig the nails into a soap bar. This prevents dirt from getting embedded under them and also make them easier to clean later.
- To keep nail polish intact in the bath, smoothen a little skin cream on it before going for a bath.
- If a nail breaks, we can get, professional help in fixing ‘false’ nails. Otherwise, try to file them down. If the break is bad, remove all the polish from that nail and mend the break with a small piece of cello-tape, cut to fit. Then re-apply polish.
- If nails are brittle and break or split easily, keep them oiled.
Some floral nails inspirations
- Don’t use your nails on a job that can be done just as well with a pair of scissors, pliers or a hammer
- Don’t file nails when they are damp.
- Don’t cut cuticles
- Don’t wash clothes or dishes in very hot water
- Don’t bite or chew your nails.
- Don’t clean your nails with a sharp metal instrument – use a nail brush and orange stick instead.
- Don’t be seen with chipped nail polish – it is a sign of careless grooming.
- Don’t leave your hands in detergent for long.
- Don’t peel-off your nail polish as you wish to – always use a nail-polish remover.
Few more inspirations
Nail Polish Selection.
Whenever we use nail polish, we should select the shade carefully. Deep toned polish looks good on long and slender nails. Pale colours make short nails look longer and they also look good on small, delicate-looking hands.
Nail- Length Decision.
As regards the nail-length, not everyone can manage long nail. If we do a lot of typing or housework , play the guitar or are a sports freak, long nail are not for us.
File rather than cut as cutting weaken the nail and cause it to flake. File in one direction only from sides to center, using the softer side of an emery board, not a metal file. Aim for a rounded tip: the shape at the tip should reflect the shape at the base to make a perfect oval.