There is nothing much worse than pulling towels out of the dryer, and its still smell musty. If this has happened to you as well just keep reading, today we bought a do it yourself(DIY) method to keep your towels clean and smelling fresh –always!
First things first
There are some basic steps to follow to keep your towels smelling better for longer in between washings.
- Most important, make sure you are properly hanging your towels when drying them.
- Leaving them in a heap on the floor just keeps them damp, and bacteria like dampness! So hang them in such a way that they get plenty of air circulation.
- Don’t use fabric softener.Fabric softener just coats the fibers of the towels, especially over time, so that eventually the detergent can no longer penetrate them.
- Hard water minerals have the same effect, so if you have hard water it’s even more important to forget the fabric softener.
- The best way to keep those musty smells from inhabiting your towels is to use Borax in the wash. Borax is amazing at fighting odors, softening hard water, and removing detergent build up from your fabrics, including your towels.
Borax also whitens because through chemical reaction it changes some of the water molecules in the wash into hydrogen peroxide. Borax also boosts the bleaching action of bleach and the cleaning power of your detergent.
- For fresher towels and cleaner laundry, just add 1/2 to 1 cup of Borax with every single load. It’s effective and economical. Try it and let me know what you think!